Shutting down a Model A Ford isn't as simple as in a modern automobile, and some guidance is helpful.
Shut Down Procedure
- Engage emergency brake by pulling back on it.
- Push Left Lever (Spark Control) all the way up (retard position)
- Push Right Lever (Throttle) all the way up
- Turn Gas Valve under dash on passenger side to closed position (pointing to the Left). If vehicle is going to be left over night, or similar circumstances, it's a good idea to let the engine burn up the majority of the gasoline in the carburetor by letting engine run until it stalls.
- Turn Off the Lights and any other Accessory
- Turn Ignition Switch off (Counter Clockwise)